feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

My Current Skincare Routine & 100th Post!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Skincare

Hey everyone! Sorry for the lack of updates, it was finals week and I got a little bombarded.

However, school's out now so I can focus my attention to what is important -- updating. I have some good things coming up, like today's Fashion Match, a review on "Gloves in a Bottle", my Face Of The Week that I missed, and more. A lot of things will be going on within the next month or two, my parents and I are moving and we have yet to find a house, so we might be in transit for a while. This could make it difficult to stay on top of this blog, but hopefully I will manage :)

Anyway, it is my hundredth post so I didn't want to just waste it on something random, so I have decided to share my current skincare routine (that I actually don't want to change out of for once) and what has been working for me to clear up my skin.

As I've previously mentioned, I attempted to use Origins' Clean Energy Cleansing Oil, and wound up with a huge breakout on my forehead. It was a disaster.

After about two weeks or so of use, here is what cleared up my face:

Hibiclens Antimicrobial Wash
This is actually a medical grade hand/body cleanser, used to treat wounds or as what doctors will wash their hands with before surgery. Acne is skin condition so this works wonderfully to cut down the bacteria and therefore reduce existing acne and prevent new ones from forming. I got the idea for using this from reading reviews at Acne.org.

PanOxyl 10% BP
I don't know if there is really a difference between this and my 10% BP ZapZyt, but the container is larger and also this seems to dry clear, without leaving any white residue like the ZapZyt. Anyway, it works like a charm.

AmLactin 12% AHA Lotion
For a long time now, I've known the benefits of using Alpha Hydroxy Acid products to exfoliate and soften skin, as well as reduce the size of pores. This product does all that and more. I feel like when I wake up after putting this on at night, my skin is soft and smooth, and any potential breakouts or situations have been stopped dead in their tracks. This product contains "light mineral oil" in the ingredients, but I have not noticed any pore clogging or problems with this whatsoever, and I've been using for a few weeks now.

Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion
I don't love this alone, but it is a good product to combine with the AmLactin to cut down it's strength. Applying a 12% AHA product might be a little harsh for certain skin types (mine) so I decided to do a little bit, like maybe 2/3 AmLactin with 1/3 Cetaphil... and I'm good to go.

Witch Hazel (as a Toner and Makeup Remover)
This is a product I have my doubts about. I used to use this as a toner and never saw any real benefits in reducing acne. But it was the only product I was using. I now use this to remove my makeup before washing my face, or as a quick toner if I don't feel like washing my face in the morning. It doesn't make me break out, so thats a good thing. I don't know if it is really benefiting my face in other ways (although it is supposed to be good), so I can't really comment otherwise.

For nighttime, I remove my makeup with Witch Hazel and Neutrogena's Eye Makeup Remover, then wash my face with Hibiclens and let it sit for maybe 15-30 seconds. I then rinse, apply the PanOxyl, let it sit for a few seconds, then apply the AmLactin/Cetaphil.

My face is back to the way it was before the Origins nightmare. My skin is not perfect and probably will never be, but this gets it about 93% there. Plus, the Lactic Acid in AmLactin makes my skin so soft! I actually love this regimen and hope that it continues working for me.

It's funny though, all the bottles for these products look so medicinal/prescription grade when they sit on my counter. It's like the complete opposite of my previous natural beauty approach... but oddly enough science has won over nature for now. I also have been using the aspirin mask on and off and I really like the results I've gotten from that.

Have you tried any of these? Use any surprising products? Let me know!

8 comments:
gravatar
Anonymous said...
May 9, 2008 at 10:04 AM  

Hi Nicole, I have been following your blogg for a while and love it! I have finals coming up to so know how you feel!
I recently went down the natural route as well and it really didnt work for me wither - my skin is a mess, so it was nice to know someone else had the same experience as me.
I'm waiting to use up the stock i got and then shop around for more readily available brands!

gravatar
Nicole said...
May 9, 2008 at 10:46 AM  

Thanks for commenting, Jasmine!

I guess some of us aren't cut out for natural products. I know for me it was just the fact that Origins had too many essential oils and botanicals that were irritants to my skin. I tried my own blend of oils but I don't think that really worked out too well either.

I'm sorry that this happened to you too though! I hope your skin gets better soon :)

Good luck on your finals!!

gravatar
Anonymous said...
May 9, 2008 at 9:38 PM  

Hey Nicole,

Woohoo finals are over! Boy that feeling was something I've felt ages ago :)

good luck in finding a new house also a big congratulations on your 100th post!! You've all grown up now, girlie *wink*

I'm glad this skincare routine works for you and yes its totally different. Interesting choice of products

gravatar
Nicole said...
May 9, 2008 at 10:23 PM  

Thanks so much Beauty Tyrant! I really appreciate it :)

gravatar
jing said...
May 11, 2008 at 9:25 PM  

Hi Nicole!

Where do you buy the Hibiclens? Also do you use Amlactin on your face? I got this to ease my Keratosis Pilaris on my arms. But it seems like it's breaking me out. Although I don't use it on my face, I think I often touch my face when I'm asleep. I'm gonna try that PanOxyl BP next time. I use zapzyt and it works better than other BHA or BP stuffs I've used.

Congratulations on your 100th post!

gravatar
Nicole said...
May 11, 2008 at 9:49 PM  

Hi Jie-Jie :)

I got the Hibiclens at CVS, but I think Walgreens or any drugstore will probably have it. If not, a medical supply store would likely have it as well. If you are going to use it, be sure you read the warnings and avoid getting it into your eyes or ears (that's what the label says, at least). It's not hard to avoid that, lol!

I am using the AmLactin on my face and have not had any problems with break outs at all, but if you think you are breaking out on your arms from it then you would probably not want to use it on your face!

I think the PanOxyl works just as well if not better than Zapzyt, so yeah, give it a try.

Thanks for commenting!

gravatar
Anonymous said...
May 11, 2008 at 10:10 PM  

I've used PanOxyl before but it was abit too harsh. maybe I've been too zealous in applying it. I was peeling like a snake. I prefer Neutrogena's On-the-spot acne treatment.

gravatar
Nicole said...
May 11, 2008 at 10:44 PM  

Yeah, I usually just apply a light light layer to areas that are prone to acne, like my forehead/nose, and sometimes a little on my cheeks. Benzoyl Peroxide is really the only thing that I've consistently used to treat my skin. It could be a bit harsh though... I think PanOxyl has a 5% and a 10% product... I use the 10, but if that is too harsh there is always the alternative.

Salicylic Acid products like Neutrogena don't usually work for me at all. I am glad to hear that you've found something that works for you though, Beauty Tyrant!

I suppose that is why they make so many different products; because everyone's skin responds differently to different things :)

Post a Comment