feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Fit Flops: Fashion Disaster?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

Make It Or Break It

This week's Make It Or Break It topic is something that I'm sure many of you have seen in stores lately: The Fit Flop.

I have seen these sandals gracing the shelves of Bath and Body Works, Macy's, Victoria's Secret, and more. This shoe is basically a specially formatted flip flop that claims to give your legs a work out just by walking in them. Fitflop.com calls them "a dual-use fashion/fitness product" that is "engineered" to please. They carries styles and sizes for men and women.

For details on how Fit Flops work, you can check out their official website, here.

Fit Flops


Now... I have raised some questions upon analyzing these shoes. First off, are these too gimmicky to be taken seriously? They are a little bulky looking in my opinion, and the basic styling screams "Fit Flop" across the strap in sewn writing. Is this just a fad with a likeness to the "electrode belt" that you can wear instead of doing ab exercises?

I think that it is great to exercise and feel fit and healthy. But if you are wearing a specially formulated flip flop instead of going to the gym, what kind of results are you really going to see? Frankly, I would really have to see it to believe it. And, given that scenario, do you think if you saw a heavier person wearing Fit Flops you would be quick to judge that they are looking for an easy alternative to exercise?

Fitness is important, but disguising "work out" shoes as bulky sandals is hardly doing society a favor, in my opinion. Eesh, and look at their latest creation:

Photobucket

I feel like anyone serious about working out or power walking probably would rather be doing so in the cradling support of a real sneaker. Why not incorporate the special "Fit Flop" technology into a sneaker for working out?! I bet that would sell and work a lot better in the long run (no pun intended)!

Own a pair of Fit Flops? Want 'em? Why or why not?

6 comments:
gravatar
Anonymous said...
May 19, 2008 at 3:54 AM  

Hi dear! i have been missing your posts and your comments! Finally, I found time to leave mine! I like flip flops, they are not very stylish (at least, sometimes) but very comfy!

gravatar
eye4style said...
May 19, 2008 at 10:35 AM  

I had a pair of Fit Flops but they were so ugly, I couldn't bring myself to wear them. Therefore, I can't testify to their effectiveness:(

gravatar
B said...
May 19, 2008 at 8:04 PM  

Hmmm, I don't know about these. Those last ones are..lol, a joke! Who would purchase shoes like that? These are gettin' a big thumbs from me. I do see the point of the first pair, though. Comfort, plus it gives you toes a chance to breathe. If they weren't so funny lookin', I'd definitely give them a try.

gravatar
Nicole said...
May 19, 2008 at 8:20 PM  

Eye4style, I'm not going to lie... I did look over the Fit Flops in consideration to purchase them. But... like you said, I was afraid they would be too ugly that they wouldn't justify buying them!

Divine Blackness, the last ones are ridiculous, right!? I can't really attest to how comfortable they are, or why they are so minimally attractive! There are so many cute flip flop options out there that are comfortable too :)

gravatar
jing said...
May 20, 2008 at 2:36 AM  

I love wearing flip flops, it's mostly for comfort. However my feet is somewhat allergic to rubber =(

Nice marketing strategy: "a dual-use fashion/fitness product." Will definitely catch someone's attention!

gravatar
Lydia said...
May 23, 2008 at 11:39 PM  

OMG I hate these they are so ugly. I wrote in my blog an entry on why I think they're ugly hahaha. I wouldn't even wear them if they were comfy.

Post a Comment