feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Pearls: Outdated Trend or Timeless Treasure?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Mother's Day is coming up on May 11th, and I know there must be some readers out there who are thinking of getting their Mom some jewelry as a gift! The ideal of pearl bracelets, necklaces, and earrings, are generally seen as a classy item for a lady to receive as a Mother's Day present. I don't know if it is just me, but usually I think of pearls as having more of a "timeless" appeal that stems back to the idea of the original Hollywood starlets dripping with pearls and diamonds in my mind.
I made a little celebrity collage to illustrate ways that the Hollywood elite have added a little class to their ensembles:

Celebrities wearing pearls!

As you can see, Pearl jewelry comes in a variety of forms. A pearl necklace alone could be single strand, double, triple or more. The most popular pearl is the Japanese Akoya, which first appeared in the 1920's in the form of the Akoya pearl necklace and Akoya earrings.

No matter the kind of pearl used, the necklace could be just a single chain with a few pearl "drops" on it, or a large array of ribbons, pearls, and sparkling crystals in one. Pearls can be a bit confusing to wear for some. If you wear them with something too conservative, you may feel more like a "grandma" than a timeless beauty. One thing you could try is to layer the pearl strands, or incorporate different colors or styles of pearls together. A black pearl necklace would also be a choice you could do to be a little different.

Between a saltwater or freshwater pearl necklace, or faux pearl necklaces, when considering pearls, the possibilities are truly endless. You can dress them up with a formal outfit, or dress them down with a pair of jeans and a tank. To make them a bit edgier, follow Kim Kardashian’s lead and pair a strand of pearls up with some sparkly beaded necklaces, or swirl a ribbon around your pearls to emulate Sarah Michelle Gellar’s look. I can't stress this point enough... pearls are like a blank canvas, it's really up to you to make them your own!

I'm curious to see what my readers think about pearl jewelry. Is it something you see as more of a timeless piece, or kind of old and outdated? What would you pair with a strand of pearls?

3 comments:
gravatar
Anonymous said...
April 21, 2008 at 7:57 AM  

Well, I suppose both. I like the most such new accessories as Sarah Michelle Gellar has, fresh, hot and with pearls.

gravatar
Mischo Beauty said...
April 21, 2008 at 12:04 PM  

Pearls are classic- love your picks. Also, I tagged you, but I see I'm too late...:)

gravatar
Nicole said...
April 21, 2008 at 2:29 PM  

Angel - I agree with you, I like the new, trendy pearl accessories as opposed to the classic ones.

Mischo Beauty - Thanks! Yeah, I was just tagged a few days ago! I will check your responses though :)

Post a Comment