feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

An Urban Decay Primer Potion Extravaganza!

Labels: , , , , , ,

The other night I spent some time removing the "traces" of Urban Decay Primer Potion from it's original bottle. As most beauty lovers are well aware, the "UDPP" bottle has many flaws: ie. it seems like it's empty when there is still a lot of product left over. This is due to the fact that the odd shape of the bottle allows for product to be trapped where the applicator wand cannot reach.

Ooh, creamy

Now, before anyone goes into a rant about how Urban Decay is gypping the public and ripping them off with this product... let me just say that I don't believe this is true. UDPP is a fantastic, cult-worthy product for girls like me with oily lids that would crease shadows and liners like crazy without it. I love this stuff.

It's very unfortunate that the bottle does not make the most of the product in there, but the truth of the matter is... Urban Decay is NOT ripping people off. You paid for X amount of product... ok, well it's not like Urban Decay didn't give it to you! The product is in there! It's just the unfortunate packaging that makes it seem like you didn't get what you paid for. And, to think, when this first came out everyone loved the "cute little genie bottle" design. Anyway, I know countless people have emailed and written to Urban Decay about this problem so I'm sure they are well aware.

Regardless, I decided when my bottle appeared "empty" with the applicator wand practically dry every time I use it, that I would pry this baby open! So, pry I did. I managed to melt a little bit of the bottle and then just peel off the circle of plastic at the bottom. This allowed for me to put a tool inside to scoop out the remaining product. Yes, it would've been more time efficient to just cut the thing open, but I didn't do that. And yes, I made a mess this way. But, bottom line is, I got SO MUCH primer potion out of the bottle that I was actually shocked. I knew there would be a lot, but I wasn't sure how much really. It was crazy! Additionally, the blogger who originally did this mentioned that it looks like ice cream, and it really does... that or nougat (mmm Snickers)!

So, I "depotted" it and put the primer potion into one of the craft jars I posted about previously. This should last me a very long time, since I don't wear eye makeup every day and you only need the tiniest bit of UDPP. Will I rebuy Urban Decay Primer Potion? I don't know, it depends on whether they change the bottle or not! I might try a new primer otherwise, perhaps the one by Too Faced that is said to be comparable.

Anyway, I made a mess and loved every minute of it. Except when the UDPP I got on my hands wouldn't wash off easily. That was kind of bad.

Have you depotted your UDPP yet? Do you think Urban Decay will change their Primer Potion bottles any time soon?

7 comments:
gravatar
Jamie said...
April 23, 2008 at 3:03 PM  

What a fantastic idea! I actually just purchased my very first bottle of this yesterday from Sephora.com -- I'll let you know when it's time for me to depot! :)

gravatar
fuzkittie said...
April 23, 2008 at 4:49 PM  

I have never tried the UDPP primer... I'm very slow on getting to those "cult" products. Now that I read your review though, I think I will stick with my Bare Escentuals primer with an easy twist and dispense applicator with a terry sponge tip for now. =)

gravatar
jing said...
April 24, 2008 at 1:35 AM  

Every time I see someone "depot" their UDPP, they look so yummy. I got the 2-pack months ago, and I hardly use it. I do notice the difference, but I'm always late I have to skip on a few m/u steps.

gravatar
HairMakeupTalk said...
April 24, 2008 at 7:56 AM  

i havent had to depot it yet, but i did see an email from someone in SPecktra. they reps at UD are aware and I think they're working on a new design for it

gravatar
Nicole said...
April 24, 2008 at 11:58 AM  

Jamie - Hope you like it! Let me know when it seems empty... I promise there is still a ton in there!

Fuzkittie - I didn't know Bare Escentuals made a primer... I'll have to look in to that one... how do you like it so far?

Jie-Jie - I know, it does look yummy, haha! I only use mine if I am wearing shadow/liner, otherwise I'll just skip it. But I don't really wear a full face of makeup out every day, so my UDPP has lasted a very very long time.

Lakahna - Thanks for letting me know! I can't wait to see what they come up with... UD is know for cute and edgy packaging, hopefully this time it's a little more functional though.

gravatar
fuzkittie said...
April 24, 2008 at 1:33 PM  

I love the BE Prime Time Eyelid Primer, it's the easiest to use out of everything I've tried so far. I have tried Benefit's and Guerlain's primers, they both come in little pots which caused them to be a lot drier in texture - this led to a lot of difficulty when trying to spread it evenly on the lids. The texture of the BE primer is almost souffle like, and I can spread it very evenly with my fingers. My tube has lasted me for an entire year already... haha. As for making eyeshadows last longer, this works well for my moderately oily lids, and keeps my shadows in place for the work day.

gravatar
Anonymous said...
April 24, 2008 at 8:49 PM  

oh my goodness that's a lot of product you got out of there! I wonder if they're ever going to change the genie shaped tube. It is a cute package though.

Post a Comment