feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Paint By Numbers - Creative Craft Store Finds!

Labels: ,

Bargain Finds

My grandmother once told me, there is no need to spend excessive money on makeup brushes, when you can buy brushes at an art supply store for about 1/3 the price. I shrugged off this statement, thinking that art brushes were too long and big to be portable in a makeup bag. Today I visited my local A.C. Moore and I was very pleased to find Royal & Langnickel's Compact Art Series. This collection features art products miniaturized and placed in a compact-disc style holder. Gimmicky? Maybe. But regardless, I purchased a good quality brush set (6 pc.) for only $2.99!!! I use Royal & Langnickel brushes with acrylic paints when I am feeling artsy, so I know that this brand doesn't make brushes that will fall apart on you. The brushes are quite small, good for applying lip liner or lipstick or (and this was my main intention) gel eyeliner. And for less than $3, you really can't go wrong here.

Also, I picked up some Loew Cornell Storage Cups (12 for $2.99) to place my de-jarred NYX Ultra Pearl Pigments. If you have NYX pigments that you haven't taken out of the original container yet, I highly recommend doing so... the twist off jar allows for too much spillage and therefore wastes your precious $0.99 product! Anyway, in moving the pigments, I found that the size of the cups and the size of the NYX jars are perfectly similar, leaving you just a little extra room. The cups are smaller and have a sealing tab lid instead of a twist off, so there is less chance for leakage. These would be great for putting glitters MAC Pigment samples in.

Do you have any craft store tricks or finds? Let me know!

4 comments:
gravatar
Anonymous said...
February 15, 2008 at 9:23 PM  

Well, I've heard those silk sea sponges used for painting are great for applying makeup, but I've never tried them. They're supposed to work like Beautyblender sponges, so they might save me a lot of $$$.

gravatar
Nicole said...
February 15, 2008 at 9:37 PM  

Silk sea sponges hmm? I've never heard of that but I'll definitely have to look into it! Thanks so much!

Do you use a Beautyblender now? I haven't tried it but I think their egg design is so cute.

gravatar
Anonymous said...
February 15, 2008 at 11:32 PM  

Yes, I reviewed BB sponges a while back on my blog:

http://mandypandys.blogspot.com/2007/12/beautyblender-sponge.html

I really like using them to apply my Mineral Power Foundation (it seems to give more coverage when applied with the BB) but the sponges are so pricey and I've already had one die on me (well, it started tearing, actually).

I know those sea sponges are supposed to do the same thing for much less, but, well... there's the creep factor of using dead sea creatures to apply my makeup.

gravatar
Nicole said...
February 16, 2008 at 12:29 AM  

I don't know, I am happy with my Kabuki brush for Mineral Makeup application... I might not be willing to part with it, lol.

I am still debating.

In the meantime, I'll read your review! :)

Post a Comment