feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

The minimal M·A·C that I pack!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

Makeup

It seems that a lot of beauty bloggers are obsessed with M·A·C. Personally, I don't see what the big deal is! Ok, so the price point is fairly average, the packaging is generally minimalistic and chic, and the selection is very good. It's also available in many countries. The Back-To-M·A·C program, where you can bring in six empty containers and receive a new product is pretty nice as well.

Here's what I don't like: The main flaw with the brand that I, myself, have encountered (and I know people who feel the same way) is that a lot of customers are afraid to try any form of M·A·C foundation or skincare. This is probably because of all the negative reviews on some products and the general idea that M·A·C will "break you out". This is a big no-no. If people are afraid to try your product there must be something wrong! In addition to that, there are too many scammers out there on eBay, etc, that are selling fake M·A·C, so it's hard to tell if the M·A·C you are getting is even real unless you have a very sharp eye or are buying straight from the counter or a freestanding store (which I would do anyway). Their lip glasses (not glosses, glasses) used to be, and might still be, a number one selling gloss... although a lot of which I feel are too sticky for everyday use. I actually tossed my Lychee Luxe Lipglass years ago because it was so sticky and oozing out of the tube when I would close it! Needless to say, I am not a M·A·C-aholic.

I must applaud M·A·C on their excellent marketing skills. They release their "collections" so that they can ultimately form a monopoly where the M·A·C slaves go crazy over and buy the same colors that came out two years ago, repackaged now in zebra print or orange plastic... similar how Disney puts their movies "back in the vault" for re-release years later. From M·A·C Pro Stores to limited edition collections only available in certain locations, it's clear to see that there is a skill here that M·A·C is incorporating to become a beauty empire.

M·A·C is, of course, known for their dazzling displays of what seems to be an endless variety of eye shadow and pigment shades, all of which are of pretty fantastic quality. Yes, M·A·C is good, but M·A·C is not God! Although the color line is impressive, every M·A·C-aholic will cringe when I say that I feel that there are so many drugstore options that do the job just as well. For example, NYX, Milani... you all know the drill by now. Mineral makeup companies make pigments just as vibrant as M·A·C's for a fraction of the cost!! Despite all this, I do have a couple M·A·C items that I feel like mentioning today, because regardless of the fact that the brand is NOT cult-worthy in my opinion, I like these items!

My M·A·C:
  • Lip Gelee - "Dewy Jube"
    This is a really pretty bright red/pink in the tube, and looks very sheer and glossy on. It doesn't feel as sticky or heavy as the regular lipglasses, and comes in a slant-tip squeeze tube.
  • Powerpoint Eye Pencil - "Engraved"
    This is an excellent pencil. I use this on my waterline and lower lash area, and it stays on with minimal smudging. I've tried endless pencils and this is definitely the best one I've used.
  • Pigment - "Vanilla"
    The infamous all-purpose Vanilla! I love it. It's a nice, glowy, sheer golden white that flatters all skintones. M·A·C does give you a lot of pigment for the price tag, which is important too.
  • Fluidline - "Blacktrack"
    This is one product I would recommend to everyone. Who doesn't need an excellent black eyeliner? The gel formula lasts forever with no smudging AT ALL or creasing or flaking. It's perfect. And the little pot lasts a long time too.
  • Blot Powder
    I'm not 100% about this one, but it doesn't break me out and cuts the shine, so I guess it's doing what it's supposed to do.
What are some of your favorite M·A·C products? Are there any you could do without? Let me know!

6 comments:
gravatar
The Style Page said...
April 20, 2008 at 5:26 PM  

I like MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre from its recent N collection.

gravatar
Nicole said...
April 20, 2008 at 5:32 PM  

I have yet to try the Paint Pots, but I have heard good things about them as well... I might have to check those out next.

The N collection is one that I was really quite interested in, as I was waiting for the two Mineralized Skinfinishes (Light Flush and Warmed) to come out since I missed the boat on the previous MSFs.

In person, however, I decided I didn't need either shade because Warmed was just a glorified bronzer and Light Flush was too similar to my "Flesh" Tony & Tina Cosmetic that is still going strong.

gravatar
Anonymous said...
April 21, 2008 at 4:01 PM  

That is so funny that you write that, I just had my first visit to the MAC counter this weekend. I was all riled up ready to spend hundreds of dollars because I KNEW it was going to be amazing. I got there, tried a bunch of stuff out, and felt very disappointed. So I ended up buying ...nothing. I totally agree that NYX is just as good as MAC (as far as eyeshadows go).

gravatar
fuzkittie said...
April 21, 2008 at 4:21 PM  

What a great post, you're speaking my mind!!! I have never ever stepped into a MAC store because it just never appealed to me. And just like you said, I never relate MAC with good quality hydrating long lasting foundation products. However, I recently bought an eyeshadow (color: Venus) from them because a similar color I wanted from Shu Uemura was out, and I was short on time.
It's working out ok, but I'm generally not impressed.
Great blog, I'll be back to check on it!

gravatar
Nicole said...
April 23, 2008 at 11:39 AM  

Sleepingmydayaway - I always feel like that when I go into MAC! I get excited and plan out what I want but I get there and wind up disappointed, leaving with nothing!

Fuzkittie - Thanks for the compliment! Yeah, I have actually yet to own a MAC eyeshadow... because even though the color selection is wide, no color really stands out to me as that gorgeous that I must own it. I'd much rather splurge on NARS or a different brand.

gravatar
Anonymous said...
April 24, 2008 at 2:19 PM  

Fluidline in blacktrack is a staple in my makeup bah :D I ran out of Blot Powder a while ago but i really liked it as well. I'm super shiny and really helped.

Post a Comment