feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Reader Feedback: Sensitive Skincare!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Skincare

For my third reader question, Misti asks:

"I have incredibly sensitive skin; a good skin care line?"

Shop With a Vengeance Response:

Hi Misti!

Are you looking for a higher-end line, or a drugstore line? I know it's frustrating to have sensitive skin, especially with so many enticing products out there you must want to try them all! My skin is part-sensitive too, so I feel your pain.

To start off, a couple really gentle drugstore picks I could recommend are the Purpose line by Johnson & Johnson. The cleanser is fragrance free and very gentle, but at the same time cleans a lot better than Cetaphil, which I will not bother to recommend. Although Cetaphil is super-gentle, I have found it ineffective as a cleanser and not too exciting as a moisturizer either. I do like CeraVe, another drugstore find, for their Lotion.

However, another product that I like is the Redness Control Calming Gel Cleanser from the Skin Effects line by Jeffrey Dover (available at CVS). This is a product that feels great to apply, washes clean, and takes off most makeup. It is thicker in consistency than Cetaphil, but I liked it even though it did not foam. It is also fragrance free. I believe there might be a dye in there though to give it its blue color, which is meant to offset the effects of Rosecea. The Redness Control line also has a corresponding SPF 30 face cream, which I thought was okay as well. Overall, the line didn't do too much for my skin because I am acne-prone, but it also did not irritate me. It's slightly pricey for a drugstore brand (products are around $13-$20 each).

Lastly, if you are looking for a high end line, I would suggest DDF (or Doctor's Dermatologic Formula). I have yet to actually try their products, but they were recommended to me by another reader. They make a Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel which has received good reviews on MakeupAlley and should likely have other products that are okay for sensitive skin as well.

Most importantly, be sure to read your labels. Anything that contains too many ingredients is likely to upset your skin! Stay away from Origins, too, because they overload their products with irritating fragrant oils. One Origins counter woman even tried to convince me that their oils are not the kind that make you break out, after I tried to explain that I had an ALLERGIC reaction. Whatever. Anyway, try to stick to products that are fragrance free and dye free.

OH, also... I noticed a small allergic/itchy rash on the side of my face a few weeks ago, and upon reading some recommendations online, I applied Boudreaux's Butt Paste - a diaper rash cream, to the rash (yes, I put Butt Paste on my head) for a few days straight, and it completely got rid of the rash. I was surprised because the ingredients on the Butt Paste said mineral oil, petroleum, etc, so I wasn't expecting much... but it settled down right away. I'm not joking, this stuff is amazing for irritation.

Anyway, I hope that helped out somewhat! Good luck, Misti!

Any more recommendations for a sensitive skinned lady?

Feel free to share :)

3 comments:
gravatar
Misti said...
July 21, 2008 at 12:27 PM  

Thanks so much! I'll check out the DFF line!! :)

gravatar
Anonymous said...
July 21, 2008 at 10:01 PM  

I like the Aveeno's foaming face cleanser for sensitive skin.

gravatar
Nicole said...
July 22, 2008 at 1:04 AM  

No problem Misti, glad I could be of service!

I like some things by Aveeno too, Decorative Diva, I feel like with them it is hit or miss though (Oil Cream Lotion = Hit, Calming Cleanser = Miss). My mom likes their stuff as well.

Post a Comment