feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Is Jack White the Equivalent of a Scantily Clad Mexican Model?

Labels: , , , , , ,

Let me get up on the proverbial soapbox for a moment ;)

Now, as we all know, I am one for superficial things. I appreciate beauty, style, fashion, trends, and all the talented people who put such things together. I think that beauty and glamour are important in day to day life, to a point.

In real life, I don't really put on a full face of makeup unless I'm going somewhere special. I don't really get dressed up unless I have a reason to. I consider this attitude to be "normal". Unfortunately, as women/girls we are constantly reminded that we should be a picturesque thing of beauty at all times.

This topic is so redundant, I'm completely over it. I'm not a feminist, and I think that objectifying women is bad (although there are worse things). These are just my points of view. That being said, I want to share with you this screenshot from AskMen.com (taken 9/10/08):

AskMen.com screenshot

Now, lets analyze this for a moment. Hmm... a scantily clad Mexican model (Daniela De Jesus Cosio) is "featured" as being worthy of attention... so we could say she is like the ideal girl for AskMen.com for the day. Now, to her left is the ideal male for AskMen.com for the day. Jack White.

Are we looking at the images here? The woman is completely objectified, posing in a sexy fashion while wearing a bikini... and the man is totally physically unappealing. What is this saying? It is okay for a guy to be unattractive if he is a supposed musical genius -- but in order for a woman to be "worthy of attention" she's gotta be sexed up eye candy?

Sounds like a good, old-fashioned double standard.

Now, I like looking at AskMen.com. I like reading their articles and seeing what guys have to say about certain women, etc. I'm not going to stop doing it. I'm not going to write them a complaint, because I know that this chauvinistic objectification is kind of what keeps their site running. However, I do think that it was a valid topic to point out. What do you think?

4 comments:
gravatar
Anonymous said...
September 11, 2008 at 3:43 PM  

That guy is completely unappealing and I wouldn't want to see him clad as the lovely model is clad.

I think it's definitely sexist. If they showed a female in say, a leather jacket all ready to ride a motorcycle or something like that, I'd be a lot happier than just the chica in the bikini.

And I'm not a feminist either.

gravatar
Anonymous said...
September 13, 2008 at 12:22 PM  

I think you're overreacting, as most women who have feminist ideals. Blame the guy? That woman chose her career, and chose to go to that photoshoot. Maybe if she wanted to be respected for her other talents she should have worked harder to be recognised for them.

The difference between men and women is that women know how to use their bodies to get where they want.

gravatar
Nicole said...
September 13, 2008 at 12:40 PM  

I don't think that I was really worked up at all over this... I just found it interesting. But anyway, there are plenty of women out there that are/should be respected for their other talents -- yet you don't see them featured on the front page of AskMen.com. That's all I was saying.

gravatar
Anonymous said...
September 13, 2008 at 7:22 PM  

I agree with you on this one. All you have to do is look at women who are in the music field just like Jack White. Who are the popular female singers of today? Beyonce, Gwen, Mariah Carey, etc. Sure they are talented, but they have to maintain a certain appearance to stay in the public eye. I really don't think brilliant artists of the past-Joplin, Aretha, Chrissie Hyde- would be given a second glance today. But if you are seriously unattractive man in the biz (Jack White, Ryan Adams, Kid Rock) are considered sexy because they can sing? That is, like you said, a total double standard.

Post a Comment